Friday, March 26, 2010

A Year in Review, and Looking at the Years to Come

It's been over a year since I've posted anything...

A lot has happened, of course. I spent 7 weeks in Africa. I took on the role of BEDC Project Leader for Beta Alpha Psi, which was more work than I thought it would be, but also incredibly rewarding. I interned in my church's Finance department for 6 months, which was definitely one of the best job experiences I've ever had. I went to NYC, Vancouver BC, Palm Springs, and Minneapolis. And I took Winter quarter off of school to do a Tax internship at Sweeney Conrad, an accounting firm in Bellevue.

Today is my last day at SC. I have learned a ton, to say the least.. I don't know why, but it wasn't until this week that I could do my work without getting stressed out. I wish that had happened sooner.... because I learned a lot more when I stopped being so anxious!

So this week has been one filled with reminiscing. Spring quarter starts on Monday. Where did the last 14 weeks go?? (I haven't had classes since December...) I am thankful to have had a break from the stressful, strenuous school life. But I am looking forward to seeing friends again, and probably spending too much time in those all-too-familiar buildings: Balmer Hall and Foster Library... although, I do want to spend more time at cafes, as well..

I'm looking forward to learning more.. this internship has really helped me see the important of understanding business functions and how they work together. In April I'll start working with a friend of mine, Jeremy Allen, who owns a bookkeeping company that focuses on small businesses. I think it will be very interesting to work with all those entrepreneurs! And my coursework aligns perfectly: Business Policy (MGMT 430), Deal-making and Negotiations (MGMT 402), and Entrepreneurial Finance (FIN 457).

It's been a busy year.... I have a feeling my years will stay busy indefinitely, but I am working on being busy with the RIGHT things and using my time more intentionally. I have grown a lot - as a person, as a sister, as a daughter, as a friend, as a student, and as a leader. I'm finding my niche, slowly. I am learning to focus my efforts on productive things, and things I am made for, rather than blinding striving for something that really isn't supposed to come to fruition anyway. I am learning more about how I tick, and how other ticks, and how our ticks can work together for better or for worse. I like people.. and I want to work with them one-on-one. I love to teach and speak and mentor... and I think doors are opening for me to do that in whatever career I pursue.

How's that for a blanket-update?

Maybe I should do this more often..... :)

Jessica K. Nguyen
Class of 2010
Michael G. Foster School of Business
University of Washington, Seattle
accountantforAfrica.blogspot.com
accountingforAfrica.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment